My favorite time of the year is approaching—summertime! What do I enjoy most about summer? As a native Californian, I love the fresh fruit that is seasonal, the flowers that are in bloom, the sun beating down on my face, longer daylight hours, and time to recharge.
As administrative professionals, it can be challenging and at times exhausting to be all things to all people day in and day out. Heck! At times you do it all! Unfortunately, many of us are losing sight of our own personal wellness because we are putting everyone else’s needs first in our lives. To live happily it’s important to take care of you so that you can continue to have the energy and desire to want to help others.
As leaders in the workplace, it is critical that administrative professionals recharge periodically and not just at summertime. Depleting your energy and desire to help others with a smile is real. Don’t run on empty. Just take the time to recharge. Here are five ways for you to recharge this summer:
- Allow yourself some extra sleep. Whether you go to bed earlier or wake up later, getting some extra shut eye can do your body wonders. Taking a brief nap throughout the day can also allow your mind and body to take a short break.
- Move. Grab a family member, friend, or co-worker and get moving. Adding movement into your day will make you more alert, increase your overall energy, and improve your health.
- Plan a vacation or staycation. Scheduling time out of the office is critical to your overall well-being. Take some time to plan a vacation and GO! If your budget is tight, schedule some time out of the office and participate in leisure activities close to home.
- Disconnect. Make a conscious effort to disconnect from technology for longer periods of time. Read a book. Pick up the phone. Learn something new.
- Get organized. Take the time to get organized both at home and at the office. The sigh of relief knowing that closets are cleaned out, drawers are organized, workspaces are clean, email is up to date, and To-Do lists are updated can really help to reduce worry and stress.
What are your plans this summer to help YOU recharge? Where will you go? What will you learn how to do?