Across North America today, April 23, 2014, the spotlight will be on the administrative professional. Why? It’s Administrative Professionals Day! Thank goodness for men and women who step into these critical careers to support leaders, managers, and businesses across the world. Here’s some interesting facts about Administrative Professionals Day. Did you know?
- There are many job titles associated with the term “administrative professional.” These job titles include: executive assistant, administrative assistant, office assistant, office manager, clerical assistant, office clerk, celebrity assistant, and customer service specialist.
- Administrative Professionals Day is celebrated in many countries but NOT on the same day or even the same month.
- Administrative Professionals Day was first recognized in 1952 as National Secretaries Day. Wow! This day has been observed in the workplace for over 60 years.
- Administrative Professionals Day in North America is always celebrated during the last full week of April on a Wednesday.
- Administrative professionals appreciate recognition throughout the year, but they really look forward to that “EXTRA BIG” thank you on this special day.
- There are many ways to recognize administrative professionals, but please think about recognizing him/her in a way that truly would be considered as recognition to your assistant. For example, consider buying your assistant a gift card to a place he/she would really enjoy, spa days can be fun, a bonus would be awesome (aka cash), or a beautiful bouquet of flowers delivered to the office can be a nice surprise. If you don’t know the personal interests/likes/dislikes of your assistant, remove the guessing. Ask your assistant so you can hit a home run on this one.
- Mark your calendar now! Administrative Professionals Day in 2015 is Wednesday, April 22.